APA format with References
N.B., a 34 year-old Native American man, was admitted to the emergency department after he was found unconscious by his wife in their home.
· Was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus 12 months ago
· Was taking 50 units of insulin daily; 5 units of lispro insulin with breakfast, 5 units with lunch and 10 units with supper plus 30 units of glargine insulin at bedtime
· Has a history of flu for 1 week with vomiting and anorexia
· Stopped taking insulin 2 days ago when he was unable to eat
· Breathing is deep and rapid
· Acetone smell on breath
· Skin flushed and dry
· Blood glucose level of 730 mg/dL (40.5 mmol/L)
· Blood pH of 7.26
1. Briefly explain the pathophysiology of the development of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) in this patient
2. What clinical manifestations of DKA does this patient exhibit?
3. What factors precipitated this patient’s DKA?
4. Priority Decision: What is the priority nursing intervention for N.B.?
5. What distinguishes this case history from one of hyperosmolar hyperglycemic syndrome (HHS) or hypoglycemia?
6. Priority Decision: What is the priority teaching that should be done with this patient and his family?
7. What role should N.B.’s wife have in the management of his diabetes?
8. Priority Decision: Based on the assessment data presented, what are the priority nursing diagnoses? Are there any collaborative problems?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more