Diego Company manufactures one product that is sold for $80 per unit in two geographic regions-the East and West regions. The following information pertains to the company’s first year of operations in which it produced 40,000 units and sold 35,000 units.
Variable costs per unit
Direct Materials $24.00
Direct Labor $14.00
Variable manufacturing overhead $2.00
Variable selling and administrative $4.00
Fixed costs per year
Fixed manufacturing overhead $800,000.00
Fixed selling and administrative expenses $496,000.00
The company sold 25,000 units in the East region and 10,000 units in the West region. It determined that $250,000 of its fixed selling and administrative expenses is traceable to the West region, $150,000 is traceable to the East region, and the remaining $96,000 is a common fixed cost. The company will continue to incur the total amount of its fixed manufacturing overhead costs as long as it continues to produce any amount of its only product.
Required: Answer each question independently based on the original data unless instructed otherwise. You do not need to prepare a segmented income statement until question 13.
1. What is the unit product cost under variable costing?
2. What is the unit product cost under absorption costing?
3. What is the company’s total contribution margin under variable costing?
4. What is the company’s net operating income under variable costing?
5. What is the company’s total gross margin under absorption costing?
6. What is the company’s net operating income under absorption costing?
7. What is the amount of the difference between the variable costing and absorption costing net operating incomes? What is the cause of this difference?
8. What is the company’s break even point in unit sales? Is it above or below the actual sales volume? Compare the break even sales volume to your answer for question 6 and comment.
9. If sales volumes in the East and West regions had been reversed, what would be the company’s overall break even point in unit sales?
10. What would have been the company’s variable costing net operating income if it had produced and sold 35,000 units? You do not need to perform any calculations to answer this question.
11. What would have been the company’s absorption costing net operating income if it had produced and sold 35,000 units? You do not need to perform any calculations to answer this question.
12. If the company produces 5,000 fewer units than it sells in its second year of operations, will absorption costing net operating income be higher or lower than variable costing net operating income in Year 2? Why? No calculations are necessary.
13. Prepare a contribution format segmented income statement that includes a Total column and columns for the East and West regions.
14. Diego is considering eliminating the West region because an internally generated report suggests the region’s total gross margin in the first year of operations was $50,000 less than its traceable fixed selling and administrative expenses. Diego believes that if it drops the West region, the East region’s sales will grow by 5% in Year 2. Using the contribution approach for analyzing segment profitability and assuming all else remains constant in Year 2, what would be the profit impact of dropping the West region in Year 2?
15. Assume the West region invests $30,000 in a new advertising campaign in Year 2 that increases its unit sales by 20%. If all else remains constant, what would be the profit impact of pursuing the advertising campaign?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more