Charlie Berger, a 58-year-old obese man, comes to a nurse practitioner because he has difficulty swallowing, heartburn, and occasional regurgitation. Answering his nurse practitioner’s questions, Mr. Berger says that his symptoms worsen when he drinks coffee or alcohol.
Endoscopy reveals inflammation in his lower esophagus and poor closure of the lower esophageal sphincter. There is no evidence of esophageal narrowing or movement of the proximal stomach into the thorax.
The nurse practitioner diagnoses gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and tells Mr. Berger to do the following:
Answer the following questions about Mr. Berger and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
1. Why did his nurse practitioner tell Mr. Berger to elevate the head of his bed?
2. Why did his nurse practitioner suggest that Mr. Berger avoid eating large meals, especially near bedtime?
3. Why did his nurse practitioner check to see if Mr. Berger had movement of the proximal stomach into the thorax?
4. Are Mr. Berger’s symptoms of dysphagia, heartburn, and regurgitation specific to GERD?
5. In addition to discomfort, what is a danger of untreated GERD?
6. What is the mechanism by which obesity contributes to GERD?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more