Written Assignment 3: Mass Relationships for Compounds
Answer all assigned questions and problems, and show all work.
1. How many atoms are there in 5.10 moles of sulfur (S)? (6 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.13)
2. How many moles of calcium (Ca) atoms are there in 77.4 g of Ca? (6 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.15)
3. What is the mass in grams of 1.00 × 1012 lead (Pb) atoms? (8 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.19)
4. Describe how you would determine the isotopic abundance of an element from its mass spectrum. (6 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.32)
5. Cinnamic alcohol is used mainly in perfumery, particularly in soaps and cosmetics. Its molecular formula is C9H10O.
(Reference: Chang 3.41)
6. Allicin is the compound responsible for the characteristic smell of garlic. An analysis of the compound gives the following percent composition by mass: C: 44.4 percent; H: 6.21 percent; S: 39.5 percent; O: 9.86 percent. Calculate its empirical formula. What is its molecular formula given that its molar mass is about 486g? (20 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.43)
7. Tin(II) fluoride is often added to toothpaste as an ingredient to prevent tooth decay. What mass of fluoride in grams is in 258 g of toothpaste that has 15% tin (II) fluoride? (10 points)
8. What are the empirical formulas of the compounds with the following compositions? (a) 2.1 percent H, 65.3 percent O, 32.6 percent S, (b) 20.2 percent Al, 79.8 percent Cl (20 points)
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more