2. The manager of the Carpet City outlet needs to make an accurate forecast of the demand for SoftShag carpet (its biggest seller).If the manager does not order enough carpet from the carpet mill,customers will buy their carpet from one of Carpet City’s many competitors. The manager has collected the following demand data for the past 8 months:
Month Demand for Soft Shag Carpet (1,000 yd.)
a. Compute a 3-month moving average forecast for months 4 through 9.
b. Compute a weighted 3-month moving average forecast for months 4 through 9. Assign weights of 0.55,0.33,and 0.12 to the months in sequence, starting with the most recent month.
c. Compare the two forecasts by using MAD. Which forecast appears to be more accurate?
6. The manager of the Petroco Service Station wants to forecast the demand for unleaded gasoline nextmonth so that the proper number ofgallons can be ordered from the distributor.The owner has accumulated the following data on demand for unleaded gasoline from sales during the past 10 months:
Month Gasoline Demanded (gal.)
a. Compute an exponentially smoothed forecast, using an α value of 0.30.
b. Compute the MAPD.
9. Emily Andrews has invested in a science and technology mutual fund. Now she is considering liquidating and investing in another fund.She would like to forecast the price of the science and technology fund for the next month before making a decision.She has collected the following data onthe average price of the fund during the past 20 months:
Month Fund Price
1 $63 1/4
2 60 1/8
3 61 3/4
4 64 1/4
5 59 3/8
6 57 7/8
7 62 1/4
8 65 1/8
9 68 1/4
10 65 1/2
11 68 1/8
12 63 1/4
13 64 3/8
14 68 5/8
15 70 1/8
16 72 3/4
17 74 1/8
18 71 3/4
19 75 1/2
20 76 3/4
a. Using a 3-month average,forecast the fund price for month 21.
b. Using a 3-month weighted average with the most recent month weighted 0.60,the nextmost recent month weighted 0.30,and the third month weighted 0.10,forecast the fundprice for month 21.
c. Compute an exponentially smoothed forecast,using α=0 .40, and forecast the fund pricefor month 21.
d. Compare the forecasts in (a),(b),and (c),using MAD,and indicate the most accurate.
26. Carpet City wants to develop a means to forecast its carpet sales. The store manager believes thatthe store’s sales are directly related to the number of new housing starts in town.The manager hasgathered data from county records on monthly house construction permits and from store recordson monthly sales.These data are as follows:
Monthly Carpet Sales (1,000 yd.) Monthly ConstructionPermits
a. Develop a linear regression model for these data and forecast carpet sales if 30 constructionpermits for new homes are filed.
b. Determine the strength of the causal relationship between monthly sales and new homeconstruction by using correlation.
27. The manager of Gilley’s Ice Cream Parlor needs an accurate forecast of the demand for ice cream.The store orders ice cream from a distributor a week ahead; if the store orders too little, it losesbusiness, and if it orders too much, the extra must be thrown away. The manager believes that amajor determinant of ice cream sales is temperature (i.e., the hotter the weather, the more icecream people buy). Using an almanac,the manager has determined the average daytime temperature for 10 weeks,selected at random,and from store records he has determined the ice cream consumption for the same 10 weeks.These data are summarized as follows:
Week Average Temperature
(degrees) Ice Cream Sold
1 73 110
2 65 95
3 81 135
4 90 160
5 75 97
6 77 105
7 82 120
8 93 175
9 86 140
10 79 121
a. Develop a linear regression model for these data and forecast the ice cream consumption ifthe average weekly daytime temperature is expected to be 85 degrees.
b. Determine the strength of the linear relationship between temperature and ice creamconsumption by using correlation.
28. Compute the coefficient of determination for the data in Problem 27 and explain its meaning.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more